Seaweed is beneficial in combating acne and providing enough moisture to the face. Good enough reasons to DIY a homemade seaweed face cream!
Kelp, algae and other forms of seaweeds are extremely beneficial for your skin. The anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties of seaweed keep the skin hydrated and healthy. The beauty treasure found in the ocean or washed up ashore is packed with beauty-benefitting vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Before we jump on to DIYing homemade seaweed face cream, here are a few benefits of seaweed for face.
Benefits of Seaweed for Face
1. Heals Acne and Other Skin Problems
The anti-inflammatory properties of seaweed help fight skin irritations and problems like acne and eczema. In addition to this, the presence of natural minerals like magnesium, omega, and zinc helps in the healing process of the skin against rosacea and other skin infections.
2. It has Anti-Aging Properties
Seaweed is rich in antioxidants and promotes collagen production that protects the skin from early signs of aging. The anti-aging properties also plump up the skin and smoothen fine lines resulting in glowing and youthful-looking skin.
3. Is a Great Exfoliator
It is great for ultra-smooth and clean skin as well. The detoxifying benefits of seaweed gently exfoliate the skin and improve its overall health. Added in scrubs, seaweed can work as an excellent cleanser that removes dead cells from the face and promotes soft supple skin.
4. Seaweed Targets and Reduces Hyperpigmentation
Do you feel your face is dull and lacks glow? Well, seaweed might be the miracle ingredient you are looking for. The niacin present in seaweed brightens the skin and targets hyperpigmentation. Apart from adding on to the quality of your skin, it also forms a protective barrier for the skin to save it from harmful environmental aggressors.
5. Hydrates Skin
A hydrating toner for skin, seaweed has humectant properties that pick up traces of moisture from the atmosphere and lends & locks them in your skin. After the cleansing process, cosmetic products made from seaweed are really beneficial for youthful skin.
6. Helps in Skin Restoration
Seaweed has restorative properties that work on the texture and overall health of the skin. Apart from creating a protective shield against environmental damages, seaweed improves the complexion, nourishment, and appearance of the skin.
Nourishing Homemade Cream and Gel Recipe with Seaweed
Non-greasy Homemade Seaweed Face Cream Recipe
- Irish moss (dried seaweed) – 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup of purified water
- 1/4th cup of aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons of hazelnut oil
- 4-5 drops of frankincense oil
- Rehydrate the seaweed by adding water to it and let it sit in a pot for about 30 minutes.
- Once the seaweed is rehydrated, simmer the same over medium heat for 20 minutes (precisely).
- After 20 minutes remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. The seaweed would look like a thick jelly. It might stink and smell a bit, but the end product will not have any odor.
- Strain the jelly in a bowl and use a spatula to get maximum gel extract from the strainer.
- Add the aloe vera gel in the strained jelly and whisk vigorously. Or you may use a food processor or blender for the same
- Once the mix turns into a lighter, fluffier paste, start adding hazelnut oil and keep whisking for it to emulsify.
- Add the essential oil and whisk till it reaches your desired consistency.
- Store in a clean jar and use within two weeks.
Your non-greasy homemade seaweed face cream is ready for use. Use it as you regularly use your face cream, 15 minutes prior to stepping out.
Moisturizing Homemade Seaweed Face Gel Recipe
- 3-6 pieces of dried macro seaweed
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- Let the seaweed pieces sit in water overnight.
- Strain the gel formed by rehydrating the seaweed in a bowl with the help of a spatula.
- Mix aloe vera gel with the seaweed gel and store it in a clean jar.
- Use within 10 days as the product will have a shorter shelf life.
Your love for the ocean vegetable/leaf should not end at the sushi bar! Incorporate seaweed in your skincare regime today!