Try out any of these homemade face cream with cocoa butter to nourish and moisturize your skin while avoiding harmful chemicals of the commercial face creams.
Finding a face cream that is suitable for your skin type can be a very difficult task. If you go through the labels of most of the available face creams, they have various strange ingredients that can be harmful to your skin. Understanding the relevance of each component is another challenge. They have preservatives added to increase the shelf-life, artificial fragrances, alcohol, which can strip away the natural oil from your face. An alternative to this dilemma is to DIY a face cream at home, and here we have some recipes for making homemade face cream using one of the best moisturizing agents- cocoa butter. Keep following the article to DIY a homemade face cream with cocoa butter.
Homemade Face Cream with Cocoa Butter
- Assorted vegetable oil such as olive oil – 1 cup
- Cocoa butter – 1/4th cup
- Beeswax – 3 tablespoon
- Concentrated oil (pomegranate seed oil) – 2 tablespoon
- Vitamin E oil – 2 teaspoons
- Hydrosol (rose water) – ½ cup
- Essential oils – 12-15 drops
- Combine cocoa butter, beeswax, and olive oil in a bowl. Place it over a double boiler on low heat. Constantly stir while heating until the ingredients completely melt and take a smooth texture.
- Remove from the boiler and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Now, empty the mixture in a blender and start at a medium speed.
- Add concentrated oil and Vitamin E oil to the mixture. After 1-2 minutes, add hydrosol slowly to the mix.
- Keep on blending for a few minutes until you get the right consistency.
- Add essential oils of your choice to it and blend for another 30 seconds.
- Turn off the blender and empty the mixture into a glass jar. Let it cool before closing the lids.
- Store the cream in the refrigerator for longer shelf life.
Daily Face Moisturizer
- Coconut oil – ½ cup
- Cocoa butter – ½ cup
- Vitamin E oil – 1 teaspoon
- Frankincense essential oil – 20 drops
- Lavender essential oil – 15 drops
- Melt the mixture of coconut oil and cocoa butter in a double boiler.
- Once melted, let it cool for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Add essential oils to the mixture.
- Wait for it to solidify partially, and then whip with a hand blender until you get a butter-like consistency.
- Store in a glass jar and refrigerate to avoid the coconut oil from melting.
Homemade Regular Use Face Cream
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Cocoa butter – 2 ½ tablespoon
- Extra-virgin olive oil – ½ tablespoon
- Melt coconut oil by keeping the jar in a bowl of hot water.
- Combine all the ingredients in a pan and melt at low heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly and empty it in a glass jar.
- Shake the jar vigorously every few minutes atleast three times.
- The mixture will solidify and then be used as a face cream.
Natural moisturizer for extremely dry skin
- Extra virgin coconut oil – ¼ cup
- Cocoa butter – ¾ cup
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Essential oil – Your choice
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl/pan and microwave until coconut oil and cocoa butter fully melt.
- Pour in a container with a tight lid.
- Shake a few times vigorously as the mixture cools.
- Soon the mixture will have the consistency of a cream and will be ready to use.
Anti-aging Face Cream
- Cocoa butter – ¼ cup
- Shea butter – ¼ cup
- Safflower oil – ¼ cup
- Frankincense essential oil – 20 drops
- Geranium oil – 15 drops
- Rose otto oil – 10 drops
- Mix shea butter and cocoa butter and melt it in a pan or microwave.
- Remove from flame and mix safflower oil into the mixture.
- Now add essential oils to the mixture.
- Refrigerate for an hour to get a semi-solid consistency.
- Whip it to make it light and fluffy.
- Store in the refrigerator and apply every night.
Benefits of Cocoa Butter for Skin
The high content of antioxidants and fatty acids in cocoa butter is beneficial in fighting wrinkles. It nourishes the skin and takes away any signs of dullness or aging.
It has an abundance of fatty acids, which provides essential moisturization to the skin. It goes deep into the skin and heals damaged skin from dryness.
3. Preventing Scars and Stretch Marks
The moisturizing properties of cocoa butter can prevent the appearance of stretch marks and can also lighten scars.
4. Protection Against Sun Damage
Cocoa butter is rich in plant compounds phytochemicals which improve blood flow and slows the aging process caused by sun damage.
Cocoa butter has a high comedogenic rating of 4 on a scale of 1 -5 as it is rich in oleic and stearic acid. A high comedogenic rating makes it highly efficient in clogging pores, and hence, you should take extreme caution before applying it to the face if you have acne-prone skin. Cocoa butter is essentially beneficial for people with dry skin.
Essential Oils Used in Face Cream and Area of Concern
1. Frankincense Essential Oil
Derived from sap found in trees of the Boswellia genus, frankincense oil helps skin regeneration and hence can be used for diminishing wrinkles and other signs of aging.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
It is beneficial for dry and acne-prone skin because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
3. Rose Essential Oil
Great for sensitive skin and is beneficial for skin dryness and skin lightening. It also helps in getting rid of skin irritation.
There are many benefits of cocoa butter that makes it an interesting and beneficial ingredient for a homemade face cream. However, if you have oily and acne prone skin, avoid using cocoa butter as it can lead to clogged pores and acne breakouts. And even if you have dry skin, only apply a less amount of the homemade face cream with cocoa butter to avoid the development of acne and pimples.