Did you know that shea butter can be a miracle worker for oily skin? Learn about the benefits and uses of shea butter for oily skin right here!
It is tough to find an ideal moisturizer for oily skin. In addition to clogging the pores, a lot of moisturizers can lead to the secretion of excess sebum in oily skin. But the good news is that you can DIY a moisturizer with shea butter at home. The thick consistency of Shea butter can be great for your skin; keep in mind a little can go a long way when you use it as a moisturizer. Using shea butter for oily skin can help you avoid clogging the pores and acne breakouts.
Why Shea Butter?
It might be hard for some people to think about oily skin and shea butter at the same time. Some might even fear that the thick butter could add to the breakouts. However, the nourishing product can be useful for oily skin.
All oils are not bad for your skin. In fact, certain oils can help you fight acne and blemishes. Shea butter is made from oil extracted from shea tree nuts. It is one of the products that help balance the sebum secretion of your skin. So, shea butter works on the simple theory- like attracts like, which is, that the oil in shea butter helps remove excess oil secretion from the skin!
Benefits of Shea Butter for Oily Skin
1. Anti-inflammatory Properties
Applying a small amount of shea butter on your face can help you heal swelling and blemishes. In addition to being incredibly nourishing, shea butter is known for its anti-inflammatory and healing properties. The antibacterial properties of the butter can help you ward off acne-causing bacteria as well.
2. Anti-aging Properties
Skin exposed to pollution and the sun can be damaged easily and can age prematurely. In addition to that, factors like dehydration and smoking can further add to the wrinkles and fine lines. The moisturizing properties of shea butter help reduce the fine lines and wrinkles. It also has natural SPF that saves skin from harmful UV rays and anti-aging properties that prevent premature aging.
3. Cleans Oil From the Pores
Most of the time, the reason for acne can be collecting dust and stale oil in the pores. Shea butter is an effective natural product to solve this issue. The topical application of shea butter helps clean the pores of the stale oil and dust. This helps to clean the skin and prevent acne. Besides, the butter balances sebum production which enables you to get healthy and clean skin.
Shea Butter for Oily Skin
It is essential to learn how to use shea butter for oily skin to reap its benefits. Using the wrong or too much shea butter on oily skin would lead to greasy skin with more problems than solutions. So, follow these steps to use shea butter for healthy skin.
- Clean your face thoroughly with lukewarm water and a tea tree oil/neem-based cleanser.
- After the cleanse, splash your face with ice-cold water to close and protect your pores from oil collection.
- Pat dry your face and take no more than pea-size shea butter moisturizer for your face.
- Now, rub this moisturizer between your palms and apply it gently on your face.
- The butter sinks in your skin, so don’t worry if it looks too greasy immediately after application. However, if you feel it could lead to clogged pores, take a soft face tissue and pat and remove excess from your skin.
DIY Moisturizer for Oily Skin
- Sunflower Oil (1 Tbsp.)
- Argan Oil (1/2 Tbsp.)
- Shea Butter (1/2 Tbsp.)
- Filtered Water (3 Tbsp)
- Two tablespoons of rose water
- Olive Oil (1/2 Tbsp.)
- Tea Tree Essential Oil (3 Drops)
- Natural preservative of choice
- Heat rose water and filtered water in a double boiler.
- Now add the oils, shea butter, and the emulsifier to the heated water.
- Let all the ingredients melt while mixing them properly.
- Keep stirring the mixture while you heat it.
- After the mixture cools down, add the essential oil to the mix, and a natural preservative of your wish.
- Mix properly and pour the moisturizer into a clean bottle.
- Use in small pea-size quantities for best results.
Now that you have the ultimate face moisturizer for the oily skin type, use it every night for soft, supple skin.