Here are some potent pine needle tea benefits along with some precautionary notes for you to know before including the ingredient in your diet!
Pine trees can bring in different memories, be it of winter holidays or the fragrances of forests during the summers. One of the most popular coniferous trees, pine trees are found almost everywhere in the northern hemisphere, including America, Europe, Russia, and some parts of South Asia. Pine trees have over 125 different recognized species under their category.
Pine trees are most extensively used for timber production but are also a significant part of Christmas decorations. In addition to this, they are used for harvesting pine cones which people have enjoyed eating for thousands of years. It does not limit to this. Pine needles, which are the thin sharp leaves of the pine trees, are known to carry similar essential nutrients to pine cones. You can use pine needles to brew tea and reap the multiple health benefits that it has to offer. Below are some of the most popular pine needle tea benefits that you should know!
Pine Needle Tea Benefits
1. Rich in Vitamin C
Pine needles are a great source of Vitamin C. Intaking Vitamin C helps boost the immunity system and provides relief from cardiovascular problems. Besides, it is essential for good skin health and can treat various skin problems.
2. Rich in Vitamin A
Vitamin A is a vital nutrient for maintaining good eye health and for building bone strength. It also helps in red blood cell production and helps in maintaining good skin and hair health.
3. Suitable for Treating Sore Throats
Drinking a cup of pine needle tea can provide relief from chest congestion. It helps in soothing the throat and provides comfort from dry cough. Whenever you witness sore throat, sip pine needle tea twice a day to feel better.
4. Rich in Antioxidants
Antioxidants are essential to get rid of free radicals, which can cause numerous diseases. Pine needles are a great source of antioxidants and may prevent chronic illness.
5. May Improve Heart Health
Pine needle tea can help in providing relief to various cardiovascular problems. Its anti-inflammatory properties help protect the heart and may prevent severe conditions. It is also useful in treating high blood pressure and heartburns.
6. Reduce Stress
The citrusy flavour augmented with the woodsy aroma of pine needle can help in relieving stress. It can help in uplifting the mood and reduce anxiety as well. Drink pine needle tea after a tiring day to relieve stress and induce a good night’s sleep.
7. Improves Cognitive Health
Consuming pine needle tea may improve memory and can bring mental clarity. It helps in improving overall well-being, which can enhance brain functioning.
Pine Needle Tea Recipe
With Fresh Pine Needle
- Take some vibrant green pine needles and cut off any brown parts from the ends. You need only a small handful of pine needles for two cups of tea.
- Boil a pot of water and add small pieces of the pine needles to the boiling water.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let it brew for 3-4 minutes. You can let it boil for another minute for a stronger cup of tea.
- Remove from heat with the pot still covered and let the leaves settle down.
- Strain it, and it is ready for drinking. You can add honey or stevia to add sweetness to the drink.
With Store-Bought Tea Leaves
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add a tablespoon of leaves to the water and let it boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the needles using a filter, and your tea is ready.
- You can also use an infuser for this type of tea. Just add the tea leaves to the infuser and let it sit in the cup of boiling water for few minutes. Remove the infuser and enjoy your cup of tea.
- We know that pine trees have over 125 species, but not all of these species have pine needles that are safe to consume. Around 20 varieties of pine trees have needles that are toxic to humans, such as the Yew, Cypress, and Norfolk.
- If you are using fresh pine needles, it is always advised to know which species you have used for harvesting. It is always helpful to ask an expert in such cases. Keeping this in mind, it is recommended to buy the tea leaves from the stores since they are tested and carefully harvested with complete knowledge.
- Pregnant women should avoid drinking pine needle tea.
- It is essential to consult with the doctors before consumption as its components can interfere with any medications if you are taking any.
- Most of the benefits of pine needles is based on the research done on animals and not on humans. Some of the benefits are also based on anecdotal evidence.
Now that you know these pine needle tea benefits, you can include it in your diet after consulting your doctor to be on the safer side.