These natural hair wax DIY ideas will help you in switching from your chemical-filled commercial hair wax brands and make your hair healthier than ever.
Styling your hair with hair wax can give you Hollywood glam but at the same time, it can be tough on your pocket. If you struggle with loose hanging hair, hair wax is one of the best products that you can use to get a perfectly sleek look. Hair wax has replaced the earlier commonly used hair gels which lost their value because of the alcohol in them. There are numerous hair wax brands available in the market, but they are not always eco-friendly or economical and even though they are better than hair gels, they can still be harmful to your hair.
Why use natural homemade hair wax over commercial ones?
Commercial hair wax consists of certain ingredients such as Parabens, formaldehyde, and artificial fragrance which can harm the hair. Parabens can dry your hair and fade its natural color. Formaldehyde and artificial fragrance can cause skin irritation and lead to hair loss. These ingredients are used to give the wax a longer-lasting look and a longer shelf life without considering the harm that they cause. Besides, commercial hair wax is quite costly as compared to homemade ones.
We have some great DIY recipes for natural hair wax which are as effective as the commercial ones and can be beneficial to your hair as well in the long run. All these recipes can be used for as long as 2-3 months depending on your usage.
Natural Hair Wax DIY
- Beeswax – 1 tablespoon
- Shea Butter – 2 tablespoons
- Cocoa Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Castor oil – 1 tablespoon
- Rosemary essential oil – 10 drops
- Lavender essential oil – 10 drops
- Using a double boiler method, melt the beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, and coconut oil on medium heat.
- Do not heat over a high flame as it can burn the mixture. Stir the mixture until it melts completely.
- Now, add a tablespoon of castor oil and stir well.
- Remove it from heat and add the essential oils into it.
- Pour it in preferably a metal/glass container and let it cool. Your DIY hair wax is ready.
- Beeswax – 2 tablespoons
- Shea Butter – 3 tablespoons
- Jojoba oil – 4 tablespoons
- Rosemary essential oil – ¼ teaspoon
- Use a double boiler to melt down the beeswax and later add shea butter and stir well until the two ingredients are well combined.
- Now add Jojoba oil and mix the ingredients well.
- Remove from heat and let it cool before adding a few drops of the essential oil.
- You can use coconut oil instead of jojoba oil as well, but jojoba oil gives a more non-greasy look as it is a dry oil.
- Beeswax – 2 tablespoons
- Coconut oil – 3 tablespoons
- Bentonite clay – 2 teaspoons (avoid using low-quality clay)
- Sandalwood essential oil – Few drops
- Create a water bath and melt the beeswax.
- Add coconut oil and stir until the ingredients melt.
- Remove from heat and add bentonite clay.
- Keep on stirring it until it cools down.
- Next, add in the essential oil and stir.
- Store in a glass/metal container.
How these ingredients work:
Beeswax is an essential ingredient for any hair wax and helps in keeping the flying strands in place. They provide great moisturization to hair and can promote a healthy scalp as well as hair growth. Candelilla wax or Soy wax can be used instead of beeswax if you are looking for a vegan option.
2. Shea Butter
As for your skin, shea butter acts as a great moisturizing agent for your hair as well. It locks the moisture in the hair and can protect it from harmful pollutants. It also increases the softness of the hair and can give you a silky texture.
3. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter has healing properties that can help you get a healthier scalp and promote hair growth. Applying cocoa butter can help in getting shiny and silky hair.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a traditionally used ingredient for good hair health. It can help in getting rid of split ends, dandruff, and hair breakage. Also, as a moisturizing agent, it leaves your hair with a silky texture.
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil seeps into your hair follicles and enhances their health, thereby preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth. It works great for coating curly hair.
6. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba gives a non-greasy look and is a great alternative if you have oily hair. It is full of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, Vitamin B, copper, zinc which nourishes hair and can promote the hair health.
7. Bentonite Clay
Bentonite clay consists of a mixture of minerals that can help in reducing frizz and moisturizing hair.
8. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Along with providing a nice calming scent to your wax, this essential oil is great for conditioning your hair.
9. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil promotes the cellular generation and can help with the thinning hair.
10. Lavender Essential Oil
Not only it gives a divine scent and calming effect, but it also has antimicrobial properties that give you a healthier scalp. It can also prevent lice. You can use any essential oil which might help you with your specific hair problem.
Hair wax is a great way to style your hair as it gives you a nice matte sheen and helps in holding your hair in place. You can also use it for conditioning by combing it through the ends of the hair. Instead of relying on chemical hair waxes, try these Natural hair wax DIY ideas to keep your hair health in check.