Is castor oil good for lips? Find out the answer to your question in this article along with a way to use castor oil for lips!
Not everyone has beautiful luscious lips and might not even prefer lip fillers and cosmetic surgeries. Because we all know the process can go wrong and do more harm than good. Well, you can increase the beauty of your lips without going under the knife and burning a hole in your pocket.
Castor oil is obtained from cold pressing castor seeds of the Ricinus Communis plant and has a yellow tint. It is an inexpensive and natural way to nourish, treat, and beautify your lips.
Is Castor Oil Good For Lips?
Whilst lip balms do protect the lips in harsh weather, they do not heal and can’t prevent the lips from being dry and dull in the long run. Other than becoming chapped, lips can also become dark over some time. UV rays, caffeine intake, hormonal imbalances, and allergies can lead to darkening of lips. The fatty oils, vitamins, and minerals in castor oil help heal chapped lips, and its skin lightening properties helps to achieve rosy pink lips. Cold-pressed castor oil is a popular choice for skin care products, as refined oil goes through multiple heat processes that reduce the nourishing properties of the oil.
Benefits of Castor Oil for Lips
- Castor oil is a rich source of omega fatty acids, thus, it hydrates the skin and helps retain moisture. The same properties help hydrate the lips, as the fatty acids repairs the damage and stimulate the growth of healthy tissues.
- Castor oil is a carrier of ricinoleic acid. The application of the oil makes the lips supple and fresh, and the acid maintains the moisture level naturally.
- Castor oil is also a humectant. Its moisture retention property makes the oil an essential ingredient for the care of lips during the winter season. It treats chapped lips and retains moisture in the healed lips.
- Since castor oil is natural, it is a much safer option to use for the delicate skin of your lips than any synthetic product. It is also economical and readily available for use.
- Being thick in nature, a small amount of oil can do wonders for your lips, and the beneficial effects stay on longer than any cosmetic product from brands. Castor oil also works and blends with other products without leaving a residue. So you can apply the oil before makeup as well.
Even as castor oil is extremely beneficial for the lips, using too much can cause problems, especially for people with oily skin, as the oil is also rich in fatty acids. People with oily skin should apply the oil in minimal quantity and twice a week.
How to Use Castor Oil for Lips
- Gently scrub your lips with a mild scrub (you can use a mix of overnight soaked and blended almonds with crushed rose petals).
- Mix a drop of castor oil with a drop of almond oil and gently dab on the lips evenly with your fingertips.
- Let the oil soak and heal the lips.
- For best results, use the oil before bedtime.
Factors that Affect the Health of your Lips
- Constantly biting and licking your lips makes them vulnerable and prone to issues like dryness and flaky skin.
- Frequent application of alcohol-based cosmetic products and consumption of alcohol is believed to speed up damage caused to the lips. It is thus vital to keep your lips moisturized and balance out the type of cosmetic products used for lips. (A healthy mix of moisturizer based lip products should be used with other cosmetic products).
- Your body’s lack of nutrients and hydration can reflect on your lip’s health as well. It is thus essential to have a nourishing diet and an adequate amount of water every day.
- Weather and dry air also make your lips chapped and flaky. It is imperative to keep lips moisturized during winters.
Note: Always use a good quality castor oil as cheap quality oil is believed to trigger allergic reactions sometimes. You should always perform a patch test with any new product you wish to add to your skincare routine. If the oil causes irritation; discontinue the use.