Know how to make cuticle oil with olive oil to cure brittle nails and nourish them further with all the care they need!
A variety of reasons can cause poor health of the cuticles and weak nails, from exposure to harsh cosmetics to nutritional deficiencies and aging. There are various products available in the market to strengthen nails, but an economical and effective solution can be easily found in our kitchen pantries.
Used globally as a healthy alternative for cooking and enhancing the flavors of food, olive oil has a plethora of health benefits. Interestingly the benefits of this oil go beyond oral consumption. The topical application of olive oil is extremely beneficial for your skin, hair, and nails as well. Let’s explore why the oil is good for the cuticles and how to make cuticle oil with olive oil.
Why Olive Oil Works
The inexpensive home remedy is rich in Vitamin E, which makes it extremely moisturizing and absorbent. These properties make the oil potent for the growth of nails and healthy cuticles. The oil also helps in the absorption of calcium, which improves the mineralization of bones and the quality of nails. Regular massage with the oil also improves the blood circulation of the base, enhancing the nail and cuticle’s health and beauty.
How to make cuticle oil with olive oil
- 50ml of extra virgin olive oil
- Two drops of lavender essential oil
- Ten drops of lemon juice
- An empty bottle
- Mix all the ingredients in a clean bowl and pour in the empty bottle with the help of a funnel.
- Close and shake the bottle properly to mix ingredients well.
- Apply on the nails with a brush or use a cotton pad.
- Massage it smoothly with the tips of your fingers for five to ten minutes.
- For best results and healthy cuticles, apply and leave the nail conditioner overnight.
Once a week, you can also give your nails a warm olive oil bath to reap its benefits.
- For the bath, warm up six tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Pour the heated oil in a clean glass bowl.
- Dip your fingers in the bowl, till the oil comfortably covers the cuticles. Keep your fingers dipped in the warm oil for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, gently massage your nails and remove excess oil with cotton swabs.
- If you wish to keep the oil on your fingertips, you can wear cotton gloves for the night. The gloves will help lock in the benefits of the olive oil over the night and won’t stain your bedding.
The heated oil stimulates moisturization and growth of the nails as the oil is a great oxidizing agent. Warm oil promotes better penetration of the beneficial properties of the olive oil.
Caring Tips For Brittle Nails
Apart from using this olive oil-based cuticle and nail strengthening conditioner, you should follow some steps to take better care of your nails.
- Application of both nail polishes and nail polish removers are harmful to the health of your nails. The harsh effects of the chemicals present in cosmetic products dry out the nail’s surface, making them brittle and more prone to breakage. Applying olive oil on the cuticles and the nails after using nail polish remover can help you prevent damage caused by the nail polish and the remover.
- Everything related to your body is affected by the food you consume. Eating a healthy diet rich in omega fatty acids and Vitamin B7 improves the quality of your nails and fastens the healing process.
- Believe it or not, washing your hands too often, staying in the swimming pool for long and washing clothes by hand can affect the health of your nails as well. Continually keeping your hands in the water weakens the nails.