Does your hair feel dry, brittle, and in need of intensive care? We have just the right homemade protein treatments for natural hair!
The building blocks of our hair, protein sums up to be around 91% of the entire composition. Free radicals, invasive styling products, and various other factors affect the quality of hair. Natural hair, although dense can be easily affected by environmental factors as well as lifestyle habits. Treating your hair regularly with protein-based products or treatments can help retain and maintain the structure of the hair. Here are some DIY homemade protein treatments for natural hair.
How do protein treatments work?
There are tiny gaps that are formed in the hair structure due to pollution and other external factors, causing the hair to damage. Protein treatments help fill these gaps in the hair follicles. The protein treatments help soften the hair, strengthen hair strands, thickens them, and adds extra volume and body to them as well. Protein treatments at home use regular kitchen products to treat the loss of keratin in the damaged spots with hair masks.
Homemade Protein Treatments for Natural hair
#1 Egg and yogurt hair pack
Apart from adding protein to the pack, eggs make the hair shinier and smoother, and yogurt cleans the scalp for the healthy growth of hair. The lavender essential oil masks the smell of the egg in the pack.
- One egg
- Two tablespoons of yogurt
- Four drops of lavender essential oil
- In a clean bowl, make a smooth paste of one beaten egg and two tablespoons yogurt.
- Apply on the scalp and leave for about thirty minutes and rinse out the pack with lukewarm water.
- Shampoo your hair thoroughly after the rinse. It’s better to use sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners for hair.
#2 Avocado and egg pack
The olive oil in the hair pack conditions and moisturizes the hair. The eggs add the protein, and avocado adds essential vitamins to nourish and treat the hair.
- One Ripe Avocado (ripe)
- One egg
- Two teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Peel and mash the ripened avocado in a clean bowl.
- Add the beaten egg and olive oil to the mashed avocado to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste all over the scalp and the hair. Comb through so that the mask gets applied on every strand.
- Keep the hair mask on the scalp for thirty minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Shampoo your hair thoroughly after the rinse.
- Use the hair pack once a week for desired results.
#3 Mayonnaise and egg hair pack
Mayonnaise and egg whites are rich in proteins. The combination makes an excellent hair pack for healthy, strong hair.
- Egg white of one egg
- Two tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Separate an egg white in a clean bowl and beat till it reaches a whipped texture.
- Add the mayonnaise to the egg white and create a smooth paste.
- Apply the hair pack and leave it on the scalp and hair for forty-five minutes.
- Comb through so that the hair pack coats every hair strand.
- Rinse the hair pack with lukewarm water.
- Wash your hair with shampoo thoroughly and condition as usual.
- Use this hair pack once a week for desired results.
#4 Castor oil hair pack
All in ingredients in this recipe; coconut oil, castor oil, and yogurt are rich in proteins, making this hair pack an ideal treatment pack for natural hair. The antioxidants and nutrients in the hair pack promote healthy hair growth and repair damaged hair as well.
- Five tablespoons of shea butter
- Two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil
- Five tablespoons of castor oil
- One cup of yogurt
- One tablespoon of honey
- Heat the coconut oil and shea butter in separate pots and mix them in a clean bowl.
- Combine the other ingredients in the list to the oil mix.
- Apply the hair mask to the hair strands and the scalp.
- Dip a towel in hot water and rinse it to wrap around your head.
- Keep the hot soaked towel around for twenty-five minutes.
- Remove the towel and keep the hair mask for another fifteen minutes.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- Shampoo thoroughly and condition your hair after the wash.
Periodical protein treatments work best to repair and restore hair. Consult your hair specialist or doctor to understand the needs of your hair before you start any treatments.