Reap the myriad of benefits that body butters have to offer by DIYing a Homemade Body Butter for Glowing Skin and to better your skin’s overall health.
Dull Skin During Winters
There might be a difference as to which season each person prefers, but there is no denying that the winter season brings dry and dull skin with itself. This leaves the skin all itchy and scratchy. In winters, people might think that covering themselves in layers will protect their skin from the harshness of the weather. However, this is not true. Even though you cover yourself in multiple layers, your skin still needs attention and care. The harsh effects of cold winds can cause damage to the skin, leaving it rough and lifeless.
Many moisturizing products are available in the market for treating dry skin, such as body butter, creams, lotions, etc. But most of these moisturizing products can do more harm than good as they contain skin-damaging chemicals as well. You might not see the effect now but in the long run, such ingredients can be harmful. Therefore, it’s always smart to DIY a homemade body butter for glowing skin with natural ingredients. Keep reading to know more about homemade body butter.
Benefits of Using Body Butter
Body butter is a heavy cream that contains butter and other natural oils to hydrate the skin without using any chemicals. Below are some of the benefits of body butter that you can reap and improve your skin.
- Body butter helps in moisturizing and nourishing the skin, thereby keepin it healthy and smooth.
- It helps in reducing wrinkles and reduces the aging process.
- Body butter helps treat sunburns or rashes and is useful for treating eczema.
- Body butter treats stretch marks, scars, marks and helps nourish the skin as well.
- You can apply it all over the body and use it to treat dry elbows or knees.
- Body butter can be used as a natural alternative to remove make-up.
- Applying body butter on cuticles can help improve their textures.
- It can be used to treat dry heels and smoothen out the skin.
- Vitamins in body butter can help moisturize the lips and treat dry and chapped areas around the mouth.
Homemade Body Butter for Glowing Skin
- ¼ cup of mango butter
- 1/8 cup cocoa butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- One tablespoon jojoba oil
- One tablespoon arrowroot powder (optional)
- 5 drops tea tree essential Oil
- 5 drops lavender essential Oil
- Three drops of Vitamin E Oil
Mix the correct quantities of mango butter, cocoa butter, and coconut oil in a bowl. Use a double boiler to melt these three ingredients while stirring it well. Now, let the mixture rest until it solidifies a little bit. Next, add jojoba oil, essential oils, and vitamin E oil to the mixture and blend it with a hand blender. Add the arrowroot powder and mix well. You can use a whip or a mixer grinder as well. Transfer the mixture to an air-tight container, and it is ready to use.
Benefits of The Ingredients
Mango butter is filled with antioxidants and fatty acids that help in improving skin texture and reduce signs of aging. It is rich in vitamins and helps in purifying the skin. The cocoa butter helps moisturize and nourish the skin, thereby maintaining the hydration level. If you have any rashes or blemishes, coconut oil can do wonders due to its skin healing properties that restores the natural glow.
The antibacterial properties of jojoba oil can soothe the skin. You can even choose other oils like almond oil and olive oil to name a few. Even though arrowroot powder is optional, we will advise you to add it to your body butter as it absorbs the oils and reduces the oily texture of the body butter. Less oil means you’ll not be subject to rashes and acne due to excess oil in the body butter.
The essential oils will provide a pleasant fragrance to the body butter while their anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties will protect your skin from the harsh weather. Vitamin E oil reduces the appearance of wrinkles and nourishes the skin deeply.
Other Homemade Body Butter Recipes
- Shea butter (1/4 cup)
- Mango butter (1/4 cup)
- Jojoba oil (1/4 cup)
- 10-15 drops of essential oil
Using the double boiler method, melt the shea butter and mango butter. Once the ingredients melt, add the jojoba oil and essential oils of your choice. Let the mixture cool in a refrigerator for about an hour. Then whip it well, and the body butter is ready to use.
- Shea Butter
- Cocoa Butter
- Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Jojoba Oil
- 25-30 drops of Essential Oils (Optional)
In a pan, take 1/4 cup each of shea butter and coconut oil. Heat it on low to melt it all together and stir well. Now, let it cool until it is partially solid. Add some essential oils to it, and then whip the mixture. Store it in an air-tight container, and use it whenever you like.
How to Use Body Butter?
You can use body butter similar to how you use body lotions or moisturizers. Apply it once a day after taking a bath. However, you can do it twice if you have extremely dry skin. If you have oily skin, you can apply body butter every alternate day. A dollop of it is usually more than enough for the arms and easily spreads, creating an excellent protective barrier on the skin.
Where to Store Body Butter?
Store the body butter in a cool environment away from direct sunlight or any other heat sources. Otherwise, it will melt. You can refrigerate it during hot seasons. Besides, remember to keep it in an air-tight container always.
Tips to Get Glowing Skin During Winters
There are some care methods that you can add to your daily routine to get glowing skin.
- Always keep moisturizing your skin as soon as you notice it going dry as it will prevent the natural oils from stripping off.
- Do not wash your face with hot water, instead, try lukewarm water.
- We tend to drink less water during winters and this might result in dry and itchy skin no matter how much you moisturize the skin. Always drink enough water even in winters to hydrate your body and bring a natural glow to your skin.
- Follow proper skincare routine during nighttime for extra care.
- Do not forget to apply sunscreen even though there is no sun outside. Sunscreen is an essential part of protecting your skin.