A potent and natural treatment for your health and beauty- learn all about coconut shell charcoal uses and its side effects in this article.
What is Coconut Shell Charcoal
A fine black powder made from burning coconut shells is called activated coconut charcoal. The high temperature of the furnace in which the natural ingredient is made, activates the charcoal, changing its internal structure and making it more porous. This property of the activated charcoal absorbs toxins and makes it beneficial for your health and skin.
How to Make Coconut Shell Charcoal at Home
Coconut shell charcoal is readily available on various e-commerce platforms and shops. However, if you wish to make it at home, be prepared, as it is a dedicated and time-consuming process.
- Coconut shells (dried and broken)
- A metal pot with a lid (lid must have a vent hole)
- In an open area, dig a medium-sized pit to burn and create the charcoal.
- After that, build a fire for the process. Since the process needs a continuous fire, you should make one in an open area for safety purposes. Also, keep a fire extinguisher at the side and take all safety precautions.
- Now add all coconut shell pieces in the pot and cover it with the lid.
- Cook the pot over an open fire for three to four hours.
- Remove from heat and let the pot cool down for a while.
- Once the charcoal and the container cools down, wash the prepared charcoal under running water and strain it to remove any ash or debris.
- After that, transfer this clean charcoal in a mortar and pester into a fine powder.
- Once all the charcoal has been powdered, let it air-dry for twenty-four hours for the ready product.
Activating the Charcoal at Home:
- Add a cup of fresh lemon juice in three cups of water. Now slowly start adding this mix to your charcoal powder till it reaches a smooth paste consistency.
- Let the solution sit in a corner for another twenty-four hours. After that, drain as much moisture as possible from the charcoal mix.
- For the next step, you don’t need an open fire. Just keep a pot with the charcoal content on medium heat with the lid on. (Lid with a vent hole)
- Next, cook this charcoal mix for another three hours.
- Air dry again and keep in an air-tight container for future use once it has cooled down.
Coconut Shell Charcoal Uses and Benefits
1. Absorbs Toxins from Body and Skin
As this activated charcoal is made from coconut shells, you can even consume it without posing any harm to your health. It can also be applied topically on your face and skin. The porous texture of the charcoal absorbs and removes toxins from your body and the skin, making it an efficient detox agent. Experts even advise using this natural ingredient as an emergency poison treatment.
2. Is Beneficial for the Hair and Scalp
The cleansing properties of coconut charcoal or ash are incredibly beneficial for your hair and scalp’s health. Read more about these benefits and how to use it for hair treatment here.
3. Effective Remedy for Tooth Whitening
Regularly brushing your teeth with activated charcoal can help you get white teeth. The absorbing properties of the charcoal effectively clean and remove plaque and teeth staining compounds resulting in whiter teeth.
4. Treats Acne
The cleansing and detoxifying properties of coconut shell charcoal remove the free radicals, excess oil, pollutants, and other toxins from your skin, treating and reducing acne and blemishes on your face.
The natural ingredient rarely has any side effects or adverse reactions. However, as the product is highly absorbent, it may affect the absorption process of certain medications. Therefore, it is ideal to consult your doctor if you plan to consume activated charcoal for health purposes. You should also increase your water intake to avoid dehydration and constipation when taking charcoal as a supplement.
We understand that making the activated charcoal by yourself is a time consuming and not-so-easy task. Therefore we have collected some of the best commercial options available: