Know how to achieve soft, plump pink lips without using cosmetic products. Read all about the benefits of castor oil for chapped lips!
Castor oil has various benefits for the delicate skin of the lips as it masks, moisturizes and heals the lips. Castor oil creates a healthy barrier that helps the skin to retain its moisture and stay hydrated because of its richness in fatty acids. Highly absorbent, castor oil is thick, and it prevents the surface of the lips from drying out. Let’s learn all about the inexpensive and risk-free natural product and two recipes of lip balm made with castor oil.
The skin of the lips is more fragile than the rest of the body. The sensitive surface of the lips lacks melanin, the protective pigment that protects the skin from free radicals, and sebaceous glands that produce natural moisturizing oils for the skin. The absence of these protective elements makes the lips prone to damage and to chap due to exposure to harsh weather conditions, chemicals in cosmetic products, and free radicals.
Castor Oil For Chapped Lips
1. Castor oil is a humectant
Being humectant in nature, castor oil helps in retention of moisture in lips, keeping them hydrated and preventing chapped lips. Castor oil has an instant effect on chapped lips. It hydrates and plumps up your lips.
2. It is very absorbent
Castor oil is extremely absorbent and penetrates deep in the lips and moisturizes them. It also repairs internal damage to the lips, making them beautiful both inside and out.
3. Evens out skin discolorations
The fatty acids present in the oil repairs the damaged tissues and restores the color and softness of the lips. The oil also promotes the growth of fresh tissues replacing the discolored cells, making them even-toned.
4. It has ricinoleic acid that hydrates the lips
Castor oil is rich and dense. The oil is also rich in ricinoleic acid, making it a natural moisturizer. The property helps to make the lips fresh in appearance and supple in feel.
5. It is a source of Omega fatty acids
Omega fatty acids stimulate the growth of healthy skin and speed up the process of healing of the damaged tissues as well. The fatty acids help achieve smooth and healthy, plump pink lips.
Castor Oil for Chapped Lips
#1 Simple Castor Oil Lip Balm Recipe
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of castor oil
- Half tablespoon of shea butter
- Half tablespoon butter
- Two drops of lavender essential oil
- With a double boiler, melt the shea butter and butter.
- Add the castor oil in the melted butter combination and mix well.
- Remove the oil mix from heat and add lavender essential oil to the mixture.
- When the mixture reaches home temperature, pour them into empty balm sticks.
- Use the lip balm regularly for the best results.
#2 Chamomile Infused Castor Oil Lip Balm
- Chamomile infused oil (Heat up 28gms of coconut oil and open & add the leaves of one chamomile tea bag to the oil and keep aside)
- 14gms of castor oil
- 4gms of shea butter
- 14gms of beeswax
- Two drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- With a double boiler, melt the shea butter and beeswax on low heat.
- Add the melted chamomile infused coconut oil and castor oil to the melted wax.
- Remove from heat and add the eucalyptus essential oil to the other ingredients.
- Pour the mix in lip balm tubes and let it cool until it hardens.
- Use regularly or when you feel your lips are a little chapped for best results.
Tips to Maintain Soft and Supple Lips
- It is a good practice to apply lip balms when you are planning to go out as a harsh environment, products, and dry air can cause chapped lips.
- Avoid continually licking your lips as that adds on to chapped lips.
- Every once in a while, you can scrub your lips with a mixture of sugar granules and honey. After the massage, dab a drop of castor oil on your lips to lock in the moisture.
Use castor oil for your lips and see the difference instantly!